Books & Applause
Four-time Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles—hailed as one of the greatest athletes of all time after her breathtaking performance at the 2016 Rio Games—shares her inspiring journey from a foster-care home in Ohio to her place in history as the most decorated American gymnast to ever compete.
• Ranked #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list, Young Adult Hardcover Nonfiction
• Indie Best Seller list, Young Adult Hardcover Nonfiction
• Mary Lou Retton, 1984 Olympic champion: “Just when we thought we were at the physical limit of the sport, here comes Simone Biles. She’s the best I’ve ever seen. She’s in a class by herself.”
• Nastia Liukin, five-time Olympic medalist: “Courage to Soar is a truly remarkable story about an amazing athlete and person. I continuously felt inspired through each chapter.”Buy Now
Orange Is the New Black actress Diane Guerrero was just 14 on the day she arrived home to a heartbreaking discovery: Her mom and dad, Colombian immigrants, had been detained and deported. Diane, a U.S. citizen, was left completely on her own; no immigration official or child services worker ever contacted her. For the first time, Diane shares the full story of her struggle to remain in the United States, her agonizing separation from her loved ones, her determination to build a successful acting career—and her hope that her family will one day reunite in America. Read an excerpt.
• Publishers Weekly: “Guerrero was left on her own with no government oversight whatsoever, a harrowing situation she recounts with honesty, pathos, and bravery.”
• Kirkus Reviews: “A moving, humanizing portrait of the collateral damage caused by America’s immigration policy.”
• School Library Journal: “This touching memoir will resonate with those who want to know more about the lives of immigrants and refugees, or have experienced a situation similar to Guerrero’s.”
• Winner of the American Library Association’s Alex Award, for best adult books that appeal to teen readers
• Book Riot’s “Best Books of 2016” list | Chicago Public Library’s “Best Books of 2016” listBuy Now
Michelle Knight was a young single mom in 2002 when Ariel Castro lured her into his Cleveland home and imprisoned her. Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus were later forced into captivity. For the first time since the girls’ triumphant escape, Michelle reveals the daily torment she endured, her longing to reunite with her son, and her courageous journey from heartache to healing. Read an excerpt.
• Ranked #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list, Combined Print and E-Book Nonfiction
• Ranked #1 on The Wall Street Journal Best Seller list
• Amazon’s “The Best Books of 2014” listBuy Now
Amy Purdy, the double-amputee snowboarder and TED speaker who inspired a nation on Dancing with the Stars, reveals the intimate details of her dramatic comeback from the brink of death to her historic victory at the 2014 Paralympic games in Sochi. Amy’s glimpse of the afterlife—coupled with the loss of her legs to bacterial meningitis—compelled her toward a new spiritual path. Read an excerpt.
• The New York Times Best Seller monthly list (Sports)
• Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love: “Amy’s honest and sharply written memoir leaves me feeling as uplifted as I do when I spend time in her presence. She brings the same courage and open-heartedness to these pages that she brings to each day she navigates the world—one carbon-fiber foot at a time.”
• Deepak Chopra: “What a remarkable young woman—and what a gem of a book.”Buy Now
Toni Braxton has earned six Grammy Awards and sold more than 60 million albums worldwide—yet success hasn’t shielded the singer and reality show star from some of life’s greatest hardships. In this revealing memoir, Toni opens up about her pair of humiliating bankruptcies, her heartrending divorce, her son’s autism—and the painful health condition that once threatened her life. Read an excerpt.
• Ranked #1 Amazon Best Seller in Popular Music Books, May 2014
• Michelle appeared as Toni’s co-author in the hit reality show “Braxton Family Values”
• Lifetime Original movie Toni Braxton: Unbreak My Heart (2016) is based on the memoirBuy Now
At the 2012 Olympics, Gabby Douglas leapt into the hearts of millions as she claimed a double victory and became the first African-American to win an all-around gold. In these pages, she shares the story of her rise from poverty to the top of an Olympic podium. Read an excerpt.
• The New York Times Best Seller list
• The Guardian: “Douglas’s co-author, Michelle Burford, is a founding editor of O…so the book’s tone is heartwarming, tear-jerking, and highly readable.”
• Publishers Weekly: “An effervescent first-person account of Douglas’s life from birth to the Olympics, this book will capture the attention of sports enthusiasts and Douglas’s admirers…Overall, the book delivers.”
• Grace, Gold and Glory is on exhibit at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African-American History and CultureBuy Now
How do you create a #1-rated talk show for 25 seasons? In this 148-page, full-color bookazine, Oprah gives you a personal backstage tour of one of America’s best-loved programs. She shares stories of the show’s early days (“We’d go downstairs on State Street and beg people to be in our audience in exchange for heat!”) and what led her to shift the show in the ’90s (“I wanted to use this platform as a force for good”). The keepsake includes O’s all-time best memories—the celeb interviews, aha moments, makeovers and huge surprises. Read an excerpt.
“Michelle is simply the best: She tells every story with great flair, she’s on time, and she delivers quality work, all with no behind-the-scenes drama.”
Book Division, Abrams Artists Agency
“Michelle had a strong vision for shaping my story into a New York Times best seller. When you partner with her, you’re in the best hands.”
Dancing with the Stars finalist
“Michelle did a great job as my co-author. She’s smart, funny and easy to work with—and above all else, she’s a
Grammy Award-winning singer
“I’ve worked with Michelle on many projects. She’s creative, positive, reliable—a brilliant ideas person who sees things through to completion.”
Pulitzer Prize-nominated author
“Michelle always creates a poignant and well-told story. I appreciate her imagination, warmth and ability to handle difficult assignments.”
Award-winning writer and editor
“You can trust Michelle: Tight deadlines are met, book manuscripts come in clean. I strongly recommend her for high-profile projects.”
Senior Editor, Zondervan